Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Meeting with the Paralympic Committee

Week 4- We meet our partner organisation to discuss our plans

“Leaving on a jet plane, I don’t know when I’ll be back again”

Leaving on a Jet Plane- Peter, Paul and Mary

            Week 4 started well with members of the team being characteristically productive; Andrew, Denis and Roland used the interview questions they wrote last week and interviewed a local P.E teacher, Zahra drafted another Inclusive Sports presentation and I edited and uploaded my back-log of blogs.

            On Tuesday we all received an unexpected day-off as the country took a national holiday to mark Tabaski (Eid), Denis invited the team to a celebration and we were welcomed into the home of his friends to share in food and drink. It was a good day and it is the first time I have ever seen the streets of Ouaga so deserted, the usual bustle of the city when the streets are crowded with people and everywhere you look you see green taxis and scooters was replaced by groups of people walking casually together with not a thought for the time, it seemed to me as though everyone was spending the day with family and friends.

            Following Tabaski things started to get difficult for the team, Andrew was struck with a virus which forced him to take a few days off work and Summer announced that she planned to leave the programme. The news was a blow to the team as we had all started to adapt to each other’s working styles and personalities but she has been struggling to adapt to Burkina and she has made a decision which will ensure her happiness so the team wish her all the best for the future. She will be flying back home soon to continue her volunteer coaching and we hope to hear of her exploits upon our return to the UK.

            The remainder of the week was filled with meetings, we met the International Service Country Director to discuss the future of our cohort following Summer’s departure and we also brainstormed about the progress of future cohorts that are to work on this project. The following day we met with representatives of the Paralympic Committee to run-through our plans for the remaining 8 weeks, using their expertise and experience the proposals were amended and finally approved and so hopefully we can now move forward to bringing our plans to actuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment